Friday, August 17, 2012

A Loooooong Visit to the Clinic

So this morning I woke up and Phoebe wasn't in the bathroom like she always is (she gets ready first...I'm not the morning person). So I started to get ready and she called my name and I looked into her bedroom. She was laid out on the end of her bed. She didn't look so good. She told me she was dizzy and when she tried to walk she felt like throwing up. I got her some water and took a shower. After I got out she still didn't look good. She said she would need help walking to school. I informed her that she wasn't going. He needed to just lay down and try to stay still. I thought she had vertigo. I had it once when I was in St. Joe. It stinks! I went to our PD day and told our principal that she wasn't feeling good and he wasn't going to be coming in. He was of course worried and said that it was fine. We had some discussions and learned a bit about the new procedures at school that would be changing with him as the new principal. We then broke up into groups to come up with a school slogan. I asked if I could check on Phoebe.

I walked to our house and asked how she was. She said she walked to the bathroom and had to throw up. Okay, now we're going to the clinic.
The clinic's symbol. Yukon K_____ (something in Yup'ik I can't pronounce) Health Clinic

I called the clinic and they could get us into the clinic in "a half hour" (it's been 1 1/2 hours so far). The assistant principal drove us to the clinic after I wheelchaired her through the boardwalk. Haha. It's definitely different here. I told her thank you for getting the clinic experience first so I could learn the ropes:). We're waiting to go back to see a nurse practitioner (or who they have here for the day). They've checked her vitals. We're sad. She hasn't lost weight yet:(. We thought we'd be down at least five pounds by now! :) I'll let you all know how she's doing when we hear more news and get to go back.
In the waiting room..Phoebe couldn't sit up:)

UPDATE: So after 2 1/2 hours of waiting, they called Phoebe back and the nurse practitioner did all the tests on her and ran a strep test (and it was negative) and she has...vertigo. Told ya:) She also said she had a little sinus infection that could have added to it.
Phoebe couldn't sit up here either:) The NP helping her out and giving her meds.

UPDATE2: When I got home after putting the blog up, Phoebe was up in the kitchen cooking.  She said she felt better since she took the medicine and wanted to cook dinner.  She's such a dork.  We ate, I unpacked a little, and then she went to bed and I'm at school on the Internet again.
YUM. Filipino sausage.

YUUUUUUUMMMMMMM. Phoebe's homemade eggrolls.  You are soooooo jealous.  Bobby and James got some.  They were VERY lucky.  They understand why I'm so lucky now.

I joined the Sunshine Committee yesterday. It's not an official committee. Just something to keep the teachers occupied and having fun throughout the weeks and months. They scheduled a pot luck at school for the teachers on Saturday for dinner to welcome the new teachers. I'm excited! We also received "Stanley Cups" as new teachers yesterday at our meeting. Our principal wanted to make sure we understood we were passing these onto others and didn't keep them forever. It's a Cup not a Trophy. Trophies get many made. Cups are passed around from one good person to another. I thought it was a good symbol of what we were doing here. A lot of people come and go so we're passing reigns or "Cup" to each other.
My Stanley Cup

As I'm sitting here with nothing else to do, I'm thinking of the little things I wanted to mention. I wanted to let everyone know that Emmonak means "black fish" in Yup'ik. I also wanted to share the lovely poem that our friend Paul, from Scammon Bay (a new teacher this year) made up to remind us on how to pronounce "Emmonak."

These chicks from Emmonak
Were speaking Ebonics
I wanted teach them phonics using mnemonics
But thy were too demonic
Isn't that ironic?

Oh the little things that make your day out here. :)

I got packages today! No Mom and Dad, it isn't the one you sent me. It's the ones from Fred Meyers. 5 out of the 8 boxes they sent. I think the post woman was just sick of bringing them back to me. I'll go back for the rest tomorrow. I LOVE that the one day I get packages, Phoebe can't help me bring them in. All the days I spent carrying hers in...:) Oh well. More dinners for me made by my great chef. That's the worst part of her being sick! I don't get awesome Phoebe cooking! I'm going to the restaurant tonight with Laura and a foster mom in the community. I don't know if I can afford it, but I'm trying to socialize and make connections to the community...
5/8 packages from Fred Meyer.  I'm so excited to have food and snacks!

UPDATE: I didn't go to the restaurant because Phoebe was up when I got home.  So I ate what she made me.  I didn't want to go out while she was up and moving.  She did well!  I'll socialize some other way another time.  And hey!  I saved money!

I wanted to show the picture of my ALASKA ID!!!!  I can't get it to switch directions, but you can see.  Take a look!
Alaska ID.  I'm officially an Alaskan
Here is also our coffee table that you have heard so much about.  It comes up to us while we are eating.  So we eat every night on the couch while we have dinner and a movie! :) I even got popcorn today so we can have popcorn and a movie too!
Best coffee table ever! With the best food ever! Don't worry, we got a new couch today.
I'm on bed number...4.  I think I might keep this one.  We're on couch number 3.  We gave Bobby and James some food today for moving all of our stuff so many times.  Thank you so much to them!


2 comments:

  1. Poor Phoebe! Question...do you ever cook for her? I'm starting to think she's the good roommate in this situation, although you obviously got the better end of the deal. I think it's time for you to make her something really American or really Polish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Don't tell her that she got the better end of the deal! She hasn't realized that yet! :) I have started cooking now. I didn't have any of my supplies yet, and she brought them, so it worked out that way. It worked to my advantage:). I've been cooking a lot of the meats that came in the other day. And I ALWAYS do the dishes, because of how much cooking she did:). We talked about it yesterday how lucky we got with each other. We are both easy to live with and appreciate each other. It was great.

    ReplyDelete