Friday, August 10, 2012

Shopping in Anchorage

Well, today (Thursday August 9) we went shopping.  And when I say shopping, I don't mean we went to a mall.  We went to the grocery stores for my groceries for the next year of my life.  My principal drove me all over town.  Thank you Tom!  I ended up shopping at Fred Meyer.  There is only one specific Fred Meyer that does Bush Shopping, so we had to go to one 20 minutes away.  They're owned by Kroger company.  I went there because someone told me that if you buy over $50 worth of groceries, then you only have to pay $20 for shipping.  WRONG.  After I spent over $900 in groceries, I then had to pay 10% handling.  AND I get to pay shipping when they send it.  All in all, it's not that bad.  I just would have liked to get the correct information.  But like my principal says, it's all a learning experience and we'll know next time.

My 3 shopping carts:)

Then we went to Mr. Prime Beef's.  Oh my gosh!  There was so much meat in one little store.  And they do bush shipping.  So, we bought meat.  By this time, I've been shopping for at least 9 hours, and I'm done.  So, they offered a crate deal that they made the decisions and it was basically 5 lbs each of their most popular sellers.  In the end, I bought 83 lbs of meat for $325.  I probably didn't need that much and over spent, but I was soooo over making decisions.  I then get to pay for shipping.

So, at the end of the day, I went to my hotel room $1400 poorer.  I passed out on my bed without dinner at 8pm.  Didn't change, didn't give the cats food, didn't take out my contacts.  Good job me.  What a trip:).

UPDATE...Here are my receipts...




4 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie...so glad to have found your blog...I hope to follow your adventures this way. The children of your village and their parents are very fortunate to have YOU in their lives. I loved your shopping adventure. I hope you purchased all the beverages you need for long-distance tailgating :) I will miss you at our tailgates, but I know you will be with us in spirit/ xxoo ~Your friend, Anne (oh no, how do I post this)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Anne, Emmonak is a dry city. No alcohol. If I were to have any in the village, I could be arrested, fined, and lose my license. Yes. That's right. I will tailgate, in spirit, with water:) Love you Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure how you picked a dry city of all places...you, Jackie Chomic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was dry when I took the job... :) oh well. It'll just make coming home all the better.

      Delete