Tuesday, August 7, 2012

From the Hotel

Sitting in my lovely hotel room in Anchorage, Alaska. Everyone has been very welcoming so far. I easily got a taxi from the airport to my hotel. It was $19 and well worth it. I thought I had free wireless in my hotel room but I guess I was wrong. I've already looked at the room service menu.

I walked into the hotel and it smelled like fish. I'm worried. It's a Hilton. If it smells like fish her, does that mean the whole state will smell like fish? I felt very welcome as I came into the lobby and there was a "Welcome Lower Yukon School District" sign. However, I then looked to the left and there were two stuffed bears...I'm scared...

Maverick and Goose are very happy to be out of their cage. They woke up on the landing into Anchorage and Goose whined for about five minutes. Not bad all in all. The flight was great. The first 2 1/2 hours we spent watching a movie. Then I spent an hour watching the mountains out of the window while another movie was on. Then the last hour I watched the clouds out the window and felt like I was flying to the end of the earth.



My first view of mountains.  You can see them waaay off.  I was hoping I'd see some closer up eventually...
This would be when I turned to the pilot sitting next to me and said, "You didn't tell me about the mountains!" He replied, "Just wait.  They get better."
They got a little better here...but he said they would keep getting prettier.

And ohhhh did they ever!
Beautiful snow-capped mountains...

I felt like I was flying to the end of the Earth.



Coming into Anchorage, Alaska
Yeah, this is why I took the job...

The city. Coming into the runway.

Is this considered the country here?

See?  It can be green.  It's not just all snow!  There isn't any right now!

The Olympics are on. Track again-eh. I feel like I've seen the race before. I can't decide what to do with myself. It should feel like 2am with 4 hours sleep, but I'm eager and ready to go. I just looked at my phone and it's 10pm here. I should still be tired! I guess I'm just too excited to start this next part of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Photos of the mountains are AMAZING!

    love - Ryan, Linds & Chu-ma-goo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie, I'll try again (3rd attempt). The pictures are amazing!! The adventure begins and you need to take advantage of every moment. Wow what an experience it will be. We were in Alaska in 1989 and found the landscape and scenery awe inspiring. You will be just fine and have the best time ever.
    We are in Sault Sainte Marie, ship watching. Tonight we even had an ocean going vessel. Love this and do it about every year at least once.
    We want to stay in touch so will take a look frequently. Hopefully this one posts because I have no idea what goes wrong.
    Love you much and stay in touch. Uncle Karl and Aunt Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete