Tuesday, August 7, 2012

In the Air

I am in the air right now. Today has been a very interesting day. I couldn't fall asleep last night, worried about what was to come and leaving my friends and family. So I finally fell asleep around 4:30am (thanks Matt). Then mom couldn't even wake me up until three times of yelling at me. Kind of tired. We spent the first hour going and dropping off my seven totes at the post office. (cross your fingers they make it to Emmonak sometime soon!) Spent $350 sending all of my things while at the post office.



We got to the airport about 30 minutes after I wanted to, but we were still plenty ahead of schedule. We then had to deal with the lovely Delta employees talking behind their counter about whether or not I was allowed to bring two cats on the plane at once with me. A bit frustrating since the woman I called and talked to for a half hour told me specifically that it was okay and what to do. I just wish they would have told me what the problem was and what way it was looking like the results were going to end up. $125 later, Maverick, Goose, and I are flying high in the sky.



Then we get to go through security check. I asked if the cats needed to go through the X-ray. The man said no and that I would carry them through the metal detector. Perfectly fine, until the woman explained that I was going to carry them in the bag through the metal detector, I was going to take both of the cats out at the same time, out the bag through the conveyor metal detector, and carry the cats-at the same time-through the metal detector. Needless to say a lot of Delta flyers and employees got a laugh today. And also made my day by telling me that my cats were "huge" and "the biggest cats they've ever seen." Now that's just exaggerating.

I then get to my gate and they ask for people to jump onto another flight and they would give us free flight vouchers. I thought about it for a minute, and decided I didn't need to be in anchorage until Tuesday night, so I went up and offered. They could get me on basically the same flit just 2 hours later. Sold! Two. Hours and one plane ticket voucher later, I'm on a flit to Minnesota.

I have flown first class this trip, taking into account the free baggage, getting onto the plane with not a lot of people around so I could get the cats situated, and having more room under the seat for the cats, I think flying first class was the best idea.  Not to mention, check out the food!



I've been watching the Avengers and will soon watch The Hunger Games (haha Alicia! I'll have a Hunger Games party of my own!). I was able to have a drink at the airport and 3 since I've been on the flights (more probably to come). All free.   How is this all not worth it?!

The cats have been doing great. They got a little "cocktail" for the journey. The vet said I should give it to them again after 8 hours but I think they're doing better with a lit buzz. They weren't happy at first when they kicked in. Now they've been pretty much sleeping the whole trip (at least I think. I'm watching a movie and have my earphones in:). I check on them every half hour or so and they just look up at me like, "Mom. We're sleeping. And we want to be home." They're doing great and I'm glad I'll have my friends there (thanks Sean).

I'm excited to be in Alaska. The nice gentleman sitting next to me is a pilot and often travels to anchorage to do flight simulation. He has been giving me a lot of good information. When it's cold, how the flights are, what to look for on Anchorage. He thinks  I'm crazy for going to the bush, but who doesn't?

I will update again from the hotel room...hopefully soon. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, hopes, and love.

UPDATE: Here is the view once you get into Anchorage...
Yeah...it's rough here.  GORGEOUS.

2 comments:

  1. First of all...I love the Top Gun reference with the cats!!! :)
    Second...glad you made it to Alaska safely! I'm am so excited and jealous you're out there having this adventure. From this point forward, everything you blog about, I'm pretending it's me writing it and I'm the one actually there. haha
    Enjoy every moment. Keep the blogs and photos frequent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that ur putting Yourself in my shoes. ;) it's been amazing so far. Love u cous!

    ReplyDelete