Sunday, August 12, 2012

Shopping In Emmonak

Today (Saturday August 11) was our shopping day. I wanted to sleep in but phoebe had different plans. I can't even sleep here! We woke up and went to the AC store. Prices for the things we absolutely needed weren't too bad. We spent about $70. Butter was $3, ketchup was $5 (just the essentials!), flour $4, cooking oil $4, bread $3, 4 rolls of toilet paper $6. We then called our principal because we couldn't carry it back to our house. He picked us up in the van and we were on our way. He took us to see the Company store and the post office. We got water in the Company store. A case for $28. Yup. That one hurt.
The view on the walk back home from the store.

One of the fishing ships.

We went to my principal's house for grilled salmon tonight. Yum!  The surveyors catch them and then put them in a bucket for free by the water. Tom and Scott got a few and filleted them and grilled them up. Sharon brought some Jiffy muffins and green bean casserole. Scott made au gratin potatoes. And we had corn and lemonade. Everything was so good! Thank you everyone for the lovely meal!

We then were able to walk home with some of our students. They really wanted to come in and see our house but it's not allowed. We had to just finally walk in and turn them away. We felt bad but it's what we are told to do. Overall, it's been a good day. I would like to watch a movie, but I only brought Sherlock Holmes with me on carry on so I've watched it 1 1/2 times already... I guess it's time to read!

And, for those of you who have been waiting...time for pictures of my house...
The living room (looking from the kitchen)

Our storage room (and kitty room) off the living room

The kitchen (from the living room)

Fridge and Freezer

Laundry Room (off the kitchen) ...we don't have soap yet though...

My bedroom (with Phoebe and Maverick)

Front of my room (yeah-it's not clean)

My closet

The bathroom

4 comments:

  1. Jackie--your digs look "comfy". You will make it more like home when you get all your stuff. The shopping experience was fun to read. Actually, it doesn't sound like things are too awfully expensive. Keep up the wonderful postings. Love ya Aunt Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfy is a good word. We definitely decide whether it's worth it to buy the stuff before we get it. So we've kept the cost down a bit. Phobe keeps making yummy egg rolls and things. Yum!

      Delete
  2. Did you get the last comment from me? It is after the tray picture in your hotel. I think I posted it in the wrong place! Still learning! Who are Scott and Sharon? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get that reply. I just can't reply right away. Everyone's posting perfectly. You just have to hit "publish." Scott is my assistant principal or assistant instructional leader and Sharon is the counselor. Love you.

      Delete